St. John’s Newfoundland and St. Pierre, France
August 13 - August 19Free
I am already getting inquiries about this trip; people are excited.
If you are new to flying internationally, I have a writeup about how to fly to Canada. You can request it from me, and I will publish it in the newsletter as we get closer.
Approximate schedule, subject to change (as you wish):
- August 12 – Ginny & I will fly to Bangor & stay downtown, probably in a Marriott property. If you are joining us there, let me know.
- August 13 – Fly to St. John’s, Newfoundland. PAL Aviation seems to be the place for the piston crowd. Comments talk about $125 (C) Handling charge but that includes 3 nights parking, so I guess OK (I think that is $90 US). Fuel is very expensive so if you have tip tanks you will tanker fuel in.
- Last time we stayed at the Sheraton hotel downtown, which is a 4 star hotel, in a great location, and cheap. 4 nights.
- Enterprise will deliver cars to the FBO. I recommend a bigger car (SUV) for 2 couples to share.
- August 14 – day trip to Terra Nova National Park.
- August 15 – day trip down the west side of Avalon peninsula. Also, the Conception Bay museum in Harbour Grace has a new aviation museum about Amelia Earhardy who flew from Harbour Grace to Ireland in a Lockheed Vega 5 years after the Lindbergh flight.
- August 16 – historic walking tour of St. John’s
- August 17 – Travel to St. Pierre and Miquelon, France. It’s a short ferry ride or a shorter flight. They do get fog there. If you bring a car over, you need French insurance. Stay 2 nights.
- August 19 – Fly to Bangor, ME to clear customs. Ginny & I will stay overnight Saturday night & fly home early Sunday. If your airplane is in St. Pierre France, you can overfly Canada and fly direct to the U.S.